What happened: China and India exchange border-stability messaging
China’s Foreign Ministry responded to questions about reports of rising tensions in Arunachal Pradesh’s eastern sector by saying the China–India border is generally stable at the moment. China’s spokesperson, Guo Jiakun, stated that China and India held the 36th meeting of the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on China-India Border Affairs last week.
China said the two sides agreed to maintain communication through diplomatic and military channels to uphold peace and tranquillity in border areas. On the Indian side, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson said maintaining peace and tranquillity is of utmost importance, without denying reports of increased tension since late July.
The reporting that prompted questions referenced alleged movements by Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) at specific locations in the Taksing circle. The Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister said on August 7 that the Chief Minister would verify any incursion with the Army and local bodies, while officials had not publicly confirmed it.
Background and earlier position: undemarcated boundary and existing incident-resolution protocols
China’s statement also addressed operational realities on the ground. China said that because the boundary is undemarcated, patrols may at times come against each other.
Related current affairs
- India formally names 27 places in Arunachal Pradesh on official map
- Five killed amid heavy rainfall in Arunachal; several reported missing
- Arunachal students’ body to assess claims of Chinese incursion
- China calls Arunachal Pradesh as Zangnan; move by India 'illegal, null and void'
- China calls Arunachal Pradesh move ‘illegal, null and void’
- Ladakh to lead India’s first caste census
